It’s broke girl season. Since I’m on maternity leave, my paycheck is only 60% of my normal wage- of course they’re still taking the full amount of taxes & deductions out 😅 Plus, Christmas is right around the corner so I’m trying to budget the best I can. Not to mention, I hit a deer on my birthday and I still have to pay the $500 deductible before I can get my car fixed.
With the holidays coming up, I’m also trying to figure out which Christmas presents I can make homemade.
Leon turned three weeks old yesterday, and I didn’t have the money to hire a professional photographer to take his photos… so I did them myself! I bought the hat and suspenders set on Amazon for like $15 and I already had the wicker basket. Add in a house built in the 1890s with beautiful natural woodwork, and you’ve got a perfect backdrop.
I’ve always been super interested looking at before and after photos of refurbished furniture. I thought it would be a fun thing to get into, but I just didn’t know where to start or how to begin the process.
So I set out to find some cheap wooden furniture at the local resale shop. Luckily for me, I found THREE things to start my DIY obsession with! I found a small rocking chair that I’m soooo excited to paint for my daughter. The theme in her nursery is adventure, so we’ve got hot air balloons hanging from the ceiling and maps all over the walls. I want to paint this tiny wooden rocking chair to go along with that theme. I can’t wait to work on that and share it with all of you!
I also found a nice wooden jewelry box and a wooden side table that I am going to paint for my sister. She just got her own apartment and doesn’t have much, so I’m going to modern up the side table with some new paint and hand paint some elephants on the jewelry box for her. Can’t wait to share those with you guys, too!
But for today… I want to share my first attempt at freshening up some old furniture that we already had at our house! We keep a small dresser with two drawers next to our bed. Unfortunately, the paint had been rubbed off the top exposing the wood, so it was all bumpy and rugged from the moisture of the drinks we sat on top of it. So when I started this, I first had to sand down the top of the dresser the best I could to try and even out the top. I put some fresh chalk paint on it, giving it a cute modern look. I painted the handles black, and let me tell you what!! It turned out AWESOME!! It looks so fresh and completely different. We practically have a brand new dresser! Not too bad for my first try! We have a taller matching dresser that I plan on doing next, but it has like six drawers in it, so that may take quite awhile for me to get around to finishing!